Translate

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

International Society for Technology in Education Reflection

International Society for Technology in Education Reflection

Identify 3-5 specific ISTE standards with which you feel the most comfortable.

1)      Standard 4: Promote and model digital citizenship and responsibility. Teachers understand local and global societal issues and responsibilities in an evolving digital culture and exhibit legal and ethical behavior in their professional practices.

               a. Advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and
technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources.

The reason that I feel comfortable with this specific standard is: I understand how to use the internet and other technology safely. I know where to find resources to help parents and students understand why internet and technology use safety. I am an advocate for students feeling comfortable where they are, including when using technology.

2)      Standard 4 (see #1)

b. Address the diverse needs of all learners by using learner-centered strategies providing equitable access to appropriate digital tools and resources.

The reason that I feel comfortable with this specific standard is: I understand that students all learn differently. I also understand that not all students may have access to technology in the home. I am aware of many places in which students can access technology in order to complete their assignments. I also envision myself having alternate assignments or of the like if students do not have any way to access the internet or other technology.

3)      Standard 5: Engage in professional growth and leadership. Teachers continuously improve their professional practice, model lifelong learning, and exhibit leadership in their school and professional community by promoting and demonstrating the effective use of digital tools and resources.

a. Participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learning.

The reason that I feel comfortable with this specific standard is: I enjoy participating in conferences and other activities that involve technology. It is really interesting to learn how to use technology in different ways such as in the classroom, helping in the community, reaching globally/around the world, and in many other ways.

Identify 3-5 specific ISTE standards that would be important to you as teacher for which you need more preparation.

1)      Standard 1:  Facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity. Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments.

Engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.

The reason that this is important to learn more about is: It is very important that students understand how the world runs and what they can do in problematic situations in future careers, societal issues, family decisions and problems, etc. Using what is often available and widely used to help solve those issues is important – technology is one of those resources. Learning how to use technology in all aspects of life is an important skill to learn about and to teach to students!

2)      Standard 2: Design and develop digital age learning experiences and assessments. Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the Standards.

b. Develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress.

The reason that this is important to learn more about is: It is very valuable to understand how students learn and what makes them curious. It is important to know how students can become active participates “in setting their own educational goals” and how teachers can use technology to implement it.

3)      Standard 5 (see #3 for Part 1)

c. Evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice on a regular basis to make effective use of existing and emerging digital tools and resources in support of student learning.

The reason that this is important to learn more about is: It is so important to be updated on technology and the internet usage, especially as it is becoming more and more accessible to people. It is important to know exactly what tools and resources will help students in the classroom. It is important to understand what technology students use in the home that will affect their progress at school. It is very important to learn more about where to find resources and why we use such technological resources in the classroom.

What do you want to learn in this class?


I want to learn how to use technology in the classroom to involve parents and students. With parents, I want to find out ways I can keep them involved, updated, and informed about what is going on in the classroom. If possible, I’d like to learn a little bit more about e-mailing parents, the e-mail operating system that most school districts use, and the proper and professional wording teachers should use in e-mails to parents and students. I’d also like to learn about writing grants to get technology in the classroom. A teacher who is close to me wrote for a grant and was awarded with netbooks in her classroom. I’d like to learn about who we write grants to, how we write them, and why specifically we want to write posts for technology in the classroom. I also would find it interesting to learn how to capture videos of us teaching in the classroom and how to post them online for any students who wish to review or may have been absent in class that day. I believe that would be a very valuable resource to have for both the students and the parents. Above all, I’d like to learn how to stay updated in technology so I can “stay with the times” and am able to identify with and further understand my students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment